Thursday, January 27, 2011

Creating Great Smells in your Home

Even in the winter I love my home to smell fresh. I love Potpourri, wax melts, and even creating my own smells. I love different smells for my moods, the Holiday's, and even different times of the year. In the winter months I love the smell of pine, vanilla, even popcorn. Even the smell of chocolate is inviting. I would like to share with you how to create some of these smells without buy expensive candles, and incenses.
Vanilla Spice Potpourri
chop a vanilla bean, until it is fine. This makes the scent strong.
Place these in a Potpourri bag, you can find these in the dollar store or AC Moore. Then added some ground nutmeg, a few cinnamon sticks, then add some allspice, anise and whole cloves. When you have your bag full enough to your liking, pour vanilla fragrance oil on it. Then place the bag into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Leave your bag in the for two weeks, or longer. After which pour your Potpourri into your favorite bowl and enjoy.

Another spice Potpourri idea is a simmering one. Place a pot of water onto the stove and bring it to a low boil. From my saved fruit peels that I save in the freezer, I then add them to my pot. Orange, lemon, and apple are my favorite. I then add some of my favorite spices, you can add what you prefer, but for winter I still like my cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Let this simmer until it goes through the whole house, then turn off. What ever you do, don't forget it's on the stove and go out.
If you love wintery nights like I do, and the fresh smell of winter outside you will love making this one. If you are looking for a scent to infuse your home you can't go wrong with the smell of Balsam. You can make a great scented oil, that you can put in a oil burner or simmering pot of water. Sometimes I rub my candles with it also. Even use it in my potpourri bags before placing them in a jar. This oil is simple to make also. Start by collecting some pine cones and balsam twigs. If you can't get the twigs in your area don't fear, there are other ingredients to make up for it. First take the pine cones and twigs outside and hammer them gently until their oils start to release. Then you want to place a pot on the stove with 1/2 cup of unscented oil as the base (jojoba, grape seed, olive oil). Turn on using a low heat until it simmers. Put your pine cone and twigs into the oil along with cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and once again cloves. Occasionally stir to make sure it doesn't burn. After five minutes remove from the heat. Cool then pour into a jar with a cheesecloth over it to catch the pine cone and twigs. To do this one handed I usually put the cheesecloth on the jar and secure it with a rubber band. It's best before doing this to remove any larger bits before pouring. After all the oil is in the jar, put the lid on and place it in the fridge. To use take some out and place in a pot or oil burner.

Then there's the candy Potpourri, yes cotton candy to be exact. You will need cotton candy essence, AC Moore is a good place to find this. Me and my little one have a good time making this one. Pour your essence into a glass bottle. If you want a sweeter smell ad french vanilla essence, or make it fruity with a fruit essence. You use a eyedropper to keep adding the different essence's until you get the candy cotton smell you like.

Any of these oils you make can be put into homemade soap or homemade candles for their scents. I hope you try and enjoy some of these ideas.

  

  

 

No comments: