Wednesday, January 19, 2011

School is the Talk Today

With the cuts at schools, even in Ewing, some of the students are suffering. Take for example the teacher my daughter has. They laid off so many teachers and aids last year it wasn't funny. Then they moved the teachers around to different grades. They even got rid of the best Vice Principal the school ever had. Well instead of filling two spots with laid off teachers, or keeping two extra, they gave two third grade teachers the position that we're for the last ten years only reading teachers. Well needless to say on the first day of school my daughters teacher told her and the rest of the class, she didn't know what she was doing and they would learn together. Is that something you tell your class. Well it's been down hill since then. Not just my daughters teacher but the other class as well. It is very evident that the two of them compare and teach the same things. So alot of us parents can now compare notes. Most of us has had to turn to the board of ED, with our concerns because teacher conference's have not worked, guidance meetings have not worked, Principal meetings have not worked. Our kid's are being taught Kindergarten and first grade level work. My daughter last year won a gold metal for reading Olympics, this year she is reading low level books. There is no spelling homework, no social studies homework, no science homework, no projects to do. Maybe once or twice a week she gets math. But every night she has to read and think. The cherry on top the cake was last nights home work. It was like pre-school, you had to color by numbers to make a teddy bear picture. I emailed it to the board of Ed and everyone at the school asking if they really feel this is third grade curriculum. The only one who emailed me back was the one board of ED person. My daughter told me the teacher took my note and looked at it and said, "what ever". I am really worried that my daughter is no way going to be ready for fourth grade. All the other third graders are already on cursive writing and multiplication. So since no one wants to give me any help or answers, I am going to keep a folder with all homework assignments and send it in with her when she goes into fourth grade and let the teacher know if she is behind on anything, here is what she learned in third.

No comments: