Thursday, January 13, 2011

Topic Today: Pets

My heart is sadden today, because I have to sell one of my parrots. With my husband not working I am forced to start selling things. I had to also sell my husbands beautiful camera. I try to keep positive, but when we think we found a way to make it through the winter, life throws us another curve ball. If it would only rain and wash this snow away so we can work. It saddens me to see my husband down in the basement all day stripping wires to get copper to sell. If it wasn't for my daughter we would be in worse shape. My pets are like my babies. Do you know how hard it is to sell a bird that calls you honey. She is a yellow nape amazon who I hand fed from a baby. I also have a male electus and Congo African grey. If I have to start selling the others it will surely break my heart. It's bad enough my amazon is the best talker I have. My electus talks but she talks and sings all day. African Greys are supposed to be the best talkers, but I bought her from a puppy mill when I purchased my min pin Lil dude. I went into the pet store to buy food, knowing I should stay away from the pet section. But I looked and low and behold they had a red male min pin with his ears cropped. When I turned around in a small parakeet cage they we're housing a African grey. I just could not walk out without them. Right away I had to take them to the vet. Lil dude was sick and the African Grey was traumatized. I went back to the pet store to let them know with my vet's note mind you, that the papers could not belong to the dog because the dog wasn't even old enough to sell. And the papers stated he was six weeks old. He didn't even have pupils in his eyes. I breed dogs, Rottweiler's and min pin's and know what the hell I am talking about. But they insisted he was six weeks, and the vet they used was a liar as bad as they we're. Yes I knew their dogs came from puppy mills, the store owner had the balls to call me on the phone stating "how does it feel giving your money to a puppy mill" I told the witch it felt good knowing the puppy now had proper vet care, and a very loving and safe home, and if I could, I would buy all the freaking animals. Many years later I was looking for a ferret for my little one. And we went there to look, only at the request of my little one, and low and behold they had two. I asked if we could hold one. You could tell by looking at them how sick they we're. The cage was a pig sty. When my daughter held it, it laid lifeless in her arms. I told the girl if she cleaned up the cage we would be back in one hour because I wanted to get my check book. When we got outside my little one asked, mom I can get them. I said no honey, they are sick, and I only told the girl that, so she would at least clean their cage. I did find one however and she is so funny. She is happy, safe, and clean. I take care of my animals just as they are my children. My birds are out of their cage all day. Sammie our ferret comes out for hours after my little one comes home from school. I also have four dogs. Two from puppy mills, one found in a trash bag. And one from breeding. When I watch animal cops I get sick to my stomach. At one point my son wanted to be a SPCA officer. But I looked at him and said, can you really do that job without wanting to do to them as they did to the animal. Take Mike Vick, stating that he wanted to get his kids a dog. Anyone who sells him any kind of animal would be out of their mind. I know my amazon is going to a nice family. I will miss her dearly. I have cried all day. But thanks to the economy, I have to do whatever I can to survive. God Bless those who have lost so much. I would love to get some ideas how they survive in these times. Like I told my husband a home is where you make it as long as we stay together. http://www.puppymillrescue.com/

No comments: