Thursday, January 13, 2011

Todays Topic:Pets ( Puppy Mills )

Puppy mill (known as a puppy farm in the UK and Australia) is a common term used to describe large scale dog breeding operations. The term originated among critics of these operations. Small-scale puppy farming is usually called backyard breeding. I have also been told this because I bred dogs in my home. But seriously where would you rather go my home to see the mom and dad and puppy being raised by a family with kids, or going and getting a sick animal and have no idea about it's background.
Critics argue that puppy mill operators ignore duties that are standard among responsible dog breeders - raising dogs in humane conditions, providing good socialization and formal training, and screening potential dog owners for suitability. Critics say that these "puppy farmers" are motivated only by profit rather than a commitment to the breed standard or any empathy for the animals in their care. It must be pointed out, however, that some excellent breeders run profitable large-scale operations with knowledgeable staff and superlative veterinary care, so size and motive alone are not indicative of the quality of the breeding program.
Puppy mill dogs may live in overcrowded, inhumane conditions, are poorly socialized, receive no training and often suffer from medical afflictions that are not disclosed to potential buyers. It is not uncommon for these breeders to misrepresent the breed of dog being sold, and the vast majority of these animals are sold to pet stores. I know I bought several. And they we're sick as hell.
Purchasing dogs from a pet store is therefore strongly discouraged by reputable breeders and animal shelter employees alike; it is assumed that many animal shelter dogs are pet store dogs who were purchased on impulse and abandoned when the owner lost interest. Animal shelters mean well, but you have to watch the advocates who take the dogs to places like pet smart. They will tell you anything to adopt the animal, and then when the animal bites your child and you call them they don't know you. I have done that to.  While many pet stores claim to purchase dogs from "local breeders" instead of puppy mills, this is often untrue or is a difference in name only, as reputable breeders generally do not sell animals to pet stores. Also the papers you get from pet stores for the pets are fake, the puppy mill people make their own. They are not AKC. Ride through Lancaster some time, that is where most puppy mills are. And they call them self's pure.

3 comments:

DP said...

Hi. I'm your newest follower from MBC. Hope you will check out my blog and follow back.

I'm also very against puppy mills. When I was shopping for my shih-tzu, I ended up at one. It was the saddest experience of my life. I wanted to go buy all the puppies but that would be supporting them, so I had to leave empty handed.

-DP
Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

Anonymous said...

Nice site [url=http://google.com]....)[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site ....)