Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mycopia Gourmet Mushrooms Review

Watching the cooking shows on TV, you always hear about the different types of mushrooms they are using. Some of them look strange, others I have never heard of. So today when a package came from Mycopia, I was so excited to try the gourmet mushrooms they sent me to review. Mushrooms are on of my favorite foods, I love them fresh, canned, cooked, or cold. So I knew as soon as I opened the box this was going to be a fun review to do.

Before I start let me share some company information with you. Gourmet Mushrooms Inc. pioneered in exotic mushrooms thirty years ago. And today they are a world leader in this field. The company furnishes supplies to some of the finest chefs in North America. Along with their fresh cultivated mushrooms, they have a large selection of seasonal wild mushrooms, truffle oils, and dried mushrooms, and even nutraceuticals. Their nutraceutical products ship worldwide today.

The company sent me several types of their mushrooms, let's start with the first one, Forest Nameko. The mushroom is not large, kind of on the small size with a long slender stem. The mushroom when sauteed had a earthy forest flavor. The texture was silky, and withheld the sauteing very well. The mushroom has a bright orange color, and is glossy. In Asia, this mushroom is very popular in Miso soup. When handling the mushroom you will find that it has a firm texture, and in taste it was a little on the fruity side, with a hint of forest to flavor. So to taste it I decided to take the chef tip and pair it with risotto. It gave my risotto a not only a wonderful flavoring but gave it body.



The mushrooms came packed in a circle inside a wicker basket. It would have made a great gift for any mushroom lover.

Next up for tasting was the Alba Clamshell mushroom. Also known as Hon or Buna Shimeji has a mild shellfish flavor. The mushroom caps are 2 to 3 inches, with white stems. If you choose to saute these mushrooms they retain a crunchy texture. It was recommend to do a hot saute to draw the flavor out so that's what I did. I used it for dinner and sauteed it with Cod in a stir fry. They gave off a nice almond aroma, and had a shellfish flavor to them, so the combo of the fish and the mushroom made the dish delicious. I took on the chefs tip again and soaked the mushrooms in salted water for two minutes before cooking the recipe.



Now it was time to try the Brown Clamshell mushrooms. This is similar to the Alba Clamshell mushrooms, only the tops are a marble color. The size and the stems are the same also as the Alba. With the rest of my cod, I made a small Asian stir fry with this mushroom and other Asian spices. My husband really enjoyed it.



Next was the Trumpet Royale. These we're really nice tasting, they had a nutty flavor, and firm texture. Chef's say you can use this mushroom in place of a wild mushroom in your recipes. Since I had the other mushrooms with my rice, and my seafood, I wanted to try something different with this one. So I grilled them whole, including the stems. I basted them with some olive oil first then grilled them on my indoor grill. By now I am in mushroom heaven.



And when I thought it could not get any better, it was time to try the Velvet Pioppini.

So let's recap, I have my risotto, my two cod sautes and my grilled mushrooms, so all I needed was a side dish. So it was time to get creative. Here is what I made:

2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces Velvet Pioppini with stems on
3 Tablespoons chopped shallot
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped sage or powdered
just a dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups mixed grated Gouda and Romano
 3 1/2 cups cubed firm bread.


I sauteed the mushrooms and shallots in olive oil, then I add the herbs and tossed with the cubed bread and grated cheeses. Then you will whisk together the eggs, half and half and your other seasonings and pour over the mushrooms, bread and the cheeses. Let this mixture sit in the bowl for 20 minutes before baking. Stir it a couple of times while it's sitting. By doing this all the custard should be absorbed into the bread. Bake on 350 until mixture is firm. It's yummy.

If your a mushroom lover, and would like more information on these great gourmet mushrooms please visit www.mycopia.com . You will find a wealth of information there as well as other products.

 Disclaimer: Momzblotter has personally reviewed the product listed above. Momzblotter has not received any monetary compensation for her review. Momzblotter did receive a free product to try out so Momzblotter could evaluate and use it for her review. Momzblotter's thoughts & opinions in this review are unbiased & honest and your  opinions may differ.




 

No comments: